Media Relations Intern
The Western Athletic Conference is accepting applications for a 5-month Media Relations Intern. The WAC is a Division I conference located in the southern metro Denver area. The member institutions are California Baptist University; California State University, Bakersfield; Chicago State University; Grand Canyon University; University of Missouri-Kansas City; New Mexico State University; Seattle University; The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley; and Utah Valley University. Dixie State University and Tarleton State University join the league July 1, 2020. The WAC crowns team and individual champions in 19 sports – nine men’s and 10 women’s.
The media relations intern will assist with all aspects of publicizing the Conference through all media platforms. Specific duties include writing and producing press releases, compiling statistics and reporting results to media, maintaining record books and serving as a media relations contact for several assigned sports. This position will also assist staff members in the administration of selected conference activities and on-site championship management.
Desired qualifications include:
• Bachelor’s degree or completion of degree following the internship with a major in communications, journalism, or a related field
• Strong working knowledge of, and demonstrated interest in, intercollegiate athletics
• A minimum of 1-3 years of increasing responsibility and practical experience in media relations
• Must be able to work independently and in a team setting to efficiently meet established goals and deadlines
• Proficient with InDesign and Photoshop
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple projects in a detailed manner
Salary: $1,700 per month
Dates: January 1, 2020 through May 31, 2020
The Western Athletic Conference is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Applications are encouraged by qualified ethnic minorities and women. This is a non-exempt position. The scope of the position requires weekend and evening work, including out of town travel. Interested parties should forward a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references in the form of an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.