The Western Athletic Conference is accepting applications for the position of Associate Commissioner for Finance & Administration. The WAC is an NCAA Division I conference located in the southern metro Denver area. The member institutions are California Baptist University, California State University, Bakersfield, Chicago State University, Grand Canyon University, University of Missouri-Kansas City, New Mexico State University, Seattle University, The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, and Utah Valley University. The WAC crowns team and individual champions in 19 sports – nine men’s and 10 women’s.
General Responsibilities: The Associate Commissioner reports directly to the Commissioner and is responsible for providing leadership on the overall financial management and selected administrative functions of the Conference. This position may be assigned additional responsibilities as part of the Senior Leadership team.
- Manage the Conference office budget, all accounting processes, and budget forecasting
- Coordinates with administrators and staff to plan and develop the annual budget, institutes and maintains appropriate budgetary controls, assures the timely and accurate preparation, distribution, and review and analysis of a variety of financial reports
- Provide effective analysis and reporting to the Commissioner and Board of Directors to facilitate effective planning and strategic decision making
- Ensure maintenance of appropriate internal controls and financial procedures
- Serve as liaison to the audit firm and coordinate tax filings
- Handle all NCAA grant reporting and distributions
- Manage the HR activities of the Conference, including retirement, benefits, payroll
- Manage Conference general liability insurance policies
- Assist staff members in the administration of selected conference activities and special projects
- Manage selected conference operations and staff
- Work closely with the Administrative Assistant on business operations
Desired Qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree required with an advanced degree in business, finance or related field preferred
- A minimum of five years of increasing responsibility and practical experience in business operations, preferably at the Division I intercollegiate athletics level and/or in higher education
- Must be able to work independently and in a team setting to efficiently meet established goals and deadlines
- Experience in a senior financial management role, preferably a non-profit
- Knowledge of budget preparation and maintenance
- Strong working knowledge of Quickbooks, Microsoft office, relevant computing skills, and familiarity with GAAP principles and practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical and reasoning skills as well as strong organizational skills
Position Structure: This is a full-time senior level exempt position, with benefits. The Western Athletic Conference is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Applications are encouraged by qualified ethnic minorities and women. All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a pre-employment background check. The scope of the position requires weekend and evening work, including out of town travel.
To Apply: Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, resume, along with contact information for three references in the form of an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received by Monday October 8th, 2018 will receive full consideration. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
For more information on the Western Athletic Conference visit www.wacsports.com