Fresno State Falls in NCAA Tournament
Notre Dame jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after earning the doubles point.
Notre Dame earned victories on courts three, four and six. Marianne Jodoin pushed the No. 5 singles player in the country, Kristy Frilling, to a tiebreaker in the first set, 7-6 (6) and earned the victory. But the match did not finish due to the Fighting Irish clinching the team match.
On court five, Olga Kirpicheva dropped the first set, 6-3 and battled back in the second set but didn't have time to earn the victory when the team match was clinched. Laura Pola battled on court two against the No. 56 singles player, Shannon Matthews, pushing her to a tiebreaker in the first set, 7-6 (7), unfortunately the match did not continue.
Jodoin's season will continue as the freshman will compete in the NCAA Singles Championships May 25-30 at the Taube Tennis Center in Stanford, Calif.
Notre Dame 4, Fresno State 0
1. Kristy Frilling (ND) vs. Marianne Jodoin (FS), 7-6 (6), 1-4 unf.
2. Shannon Mathews (ND) vs. Laura Pola (FS), 7-6 (7), unf.
3. Jenny Kellner (ND) def. Melissa McQueen (FS), 6-2, 6-1
4. Kristen Rafael (ND) def. Bianca Modoc (FS), 6-0, 6-1
5. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) vs. Olga Kirpicheva (FS), 6-3, 3-5, unf.
6. Julie Sabacinski (ND) def. Abby Hayley (FS), 6-4, 6-1
1. Kristy Frilling/Shannon Mathews (ND) def. Laura Pola/Marianne Jodoin (FS), 8-3
2. Chrissie McGaffigan/Kristen Rafael (ND) def. Olga Kirpicheva/Melissa McQueen
3. Jenny Kellner/Julie Sabacinski (ND) vs. Abby Hayley/Bianca Modoc (FS), 6-3, unf.
Order of Finish:
Singles (4, 3, 6*)
Doubles (1, 2*)